We sell electricity in apartment blocks and buildings with centralised electricity, sometimes known as embedded electricity.

Owners Corporate and Body Corporates will negotiate rates for you - this means the electricity for your building is purchased in bulk and is supplied to you at rates discounted to our standard prices. But each apartment and retail tenancy has its own electricity meter – so you’re only billed for the electricity you use.


Moving in?

Moving into a new apartment where we already supply centralised electricity services? Open an account with us and have your electricity connected.

Open an account


Moving out?

Looking to close your centralised electricity account? No worries. You'll just need to fill out and submit this form.

Close my account


Understanding your agreement

Want to know more about your agreement? Read over our Terms and Conditions for centralised electricity services.

Read Terms and conditions (PDF 153 KB)

Want to know more?

If you have a question about centralised electricity (or you’ve received a letter from us about unauthorised usage in your apartment), just give our specialised team a call on 1800 684 993 Monday to Friday between 8 am and 6 pm.

Hot water tap

Does your building or apartment block have centralised hot water?

We can also set up your account for centralised hot water - just give us a call on 1800 684 993 Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.

Find out more
Open an account online